Daresbury Village is a charming place, and it’s well worth spending a few hours here just wandering around. The village is situated in the Cheshire countryside and the birth place of Lewis Caroll who wrote the famous childrens book ‘Alice’s adventures in wonderland’. The parish church has a stained glass window devoted to the works of the author.
Daresbury is a small rural village, civil parish and ward in the unitary authority of Halton and part of the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is covered by the Weaver Vale constituency. At the 2001 Census, the population of the parish was 216, with a total ward population of 3,906.
The Tower at Daresbury Laboratory
The most notable attributes of Daresbury are that it was the birthplace (some 1.5 miles south of the village) of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll (real name Charles Dodgson), and that the Science and Technology Facilities Council Daresbury Laboratory had a synchrotron research facility called the Synchrotron Radiation Source, closed in August 2008.
Controversy arose in the late 1990s when Diamond, a new synchrotron light source planned to be built at the Laboratory, went instead to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, near Didcot in Oxfordshire.
Daresbury has become a place of pilgrimage because of the Lewis Carroll association. The parish church has a Lewis Carroll window.
Daresbury Hall is a former country house in the village of Daresbury, Cheshire, England. It was built in 1759 for George Heron.
The house is constructed in brown brick with stone dressings, and has a slate roof. Its architectural style is Georgian.
The house is in three storeys and seven bays. It has a stone plinth and stone bands between the storeys. Framing the middle three bays are rusticated pilasters, and similar quoins at the corners. All the windows are sash windows. Along the top of the house is a plain parapet, with a pediment above the central three bays. For some years from 1955 it was used by a charity, now known as Scope, as a residential home for handicapped people. The house has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.